|Back to the search|
April-Oct. Tue-Fri 10 am- 5 pm, Sat 11 am –5 pm, Sun-Mon 2-5 pm
The ‚Theodor-Storm-Gesellschaft“ (Theodor Storm association) runs a museum in the Storm house in the street ‚Wasserreihe’. The poet lived here from 1866 to 1880. The museum is fitted with original furniture and pictures from Storm’s possessions. The way the ‘poetic realist” Storm saw himself as a writer becomes obvious in a comparison of his poetry and reality. Among the twelve rooms of the house the “Poetenstübchen” (poet’s chamber) is most remarkable because Storm invented it for himself. It conveys an impression of the atmosphere Storm needed for writing. Here more than 20 novellas came to life, for instance “Pole Poppenspäler”, “Carsten Curator”, “Aquis submersus” and “Viola tricolor”.
Changing exhibitions give an insight into special problems of Storms writings and of his biography.
Adults 3,- €
Groups with more than 10 persons 2,50 € per person
Children / pupils / students 2,- €
Films, slide shows and guided tours by prior appointment, Information on special events or series of events taking place in the museum in the Internet (current calendar of events)
Information: museum leaflet, "Schriften der Theodor-Storm-Gesellschaft" (works of the Theodor Storm Foundation) and "Mitteilungen aus dem Storm-Haus" (proceedings of the Storm house) for members of the Theodor-Storm-Gesellschaft (Theodor Storm association), otherwise available in bookshops or at the museum. Notice of new publications in the Internet
The Theodor-Storm-Gesellschaft (Theodor Strom association) has tried to free Storm from the image of a regional writer since it was founded in 1948. It wants to establish an appropriate position of the poet from Husum within the literary history of the 19th century. The association aims at spreading the works of Storm, supporting the research on Storm as well as maintaining Storm memorials and Storm museums. The Theodor-Storm-Gesellschaft is one of the largest literary associations in Germany today. It has more than 1.400 members, among them many foreigners from more than 20 countries.
Since 1996 the Storm archive has some rooms of its own close to the Storm house. Academics and Storm enthusiasts find suitable facilities for their research there.
Arriving by car
Either by car or by train; parking facilities behind the town hall (5 minutes walking distance to the town centre)
Find more museums…
of the region: Nordfriesland