Name des Museums
Titel des Bildes
Back to the search

Kiellinie 249
24106  Kiel

Fax: 0431/2209030
E-Mail: info@kriegszeugen.de

Opening Hours

Mon-Fri 11 am - 3 pm, closed on Sat
Sun 11 am - 5 pm

The so-called "Flandernbunker" (Flanders bunker) was built in the years 1942 and 1943 of the war. It is located at the Northern end of the street Hindenburgufer in the part of Kiel City which is called Wik. Opposite of the bunker there is the main entrance to Tirpitz Harbour.
The Flandernbunker contained the head office of air defence and emergency command in Kiel. In addition to military facilities there were rooms for the civilian population. After the war the British military government made the bunker unusuable by cutting huge holes in the bunker walls.
Since 2001 the bunker belongs to the "Verein Mahnmal Kilian" (Kilian Memorial Association). Since 2005 it is classified as a historical monument. At present the building is renovated. Events on history, international understanding and maintenance of peace are offered regularly.